Friday, September 30, 2011

Meal Ideas!

via
So many of you might be wondering what falls in each category of lean protein, healthy carb, and healthy fat.  Well, I'll tell you.  I don't know everything that there is to know on the subject, but I do know a few.

Lean Proteins
-Fish
-Chicken
-Turkey
-Lean Beef-meaning if there is grissel/fat, trim it up
-Beans
-Protein Powder
Remember healthy meat portions are about the size of your palm.

Healthy Carbohydrates
-Fresh Fruit - no bigger than your fist
-Wheat Bread (Oroweat is one of my favorites) (1 slice of thick bread is enough)
-Wheat Tortillas - 1 tortilla
-Corn Tortillas - 2 tortillas (I added this, because it is good as long as it is not saturated in grease)
-Wheat Pasta - You will have to be careful to not have too much. Most sauces are loaded with carbs                             as  well.
-Potato - dry with salt and pepper is great, or you can use your 100 calories for butter/sour cream
-Honey - 1 TBS = one full healthy carb, so don't over use
-Milk - 8 oz
-Cheese - 2 slices/ 1/4 cuppish
-Cottage Cheese -1/2 cuppish. have it with fruit or tomatoes for a full meal
-Brown Rice - is best, but I have a hard time letting go of white. maybe 1 cup or so for serving size.
-Tomatoes -same amount as fruit serving.
-Yogurt (Low fat or Greek Yogurt)
Anything processed is not going to be a healthy carb.
 You are able to mix and match carbs.  But be mindful that when you have having a sandwich, not to have too many tomato slices etc. 

Healthy Fats
-Olive Oil (1 TBS)
-Avocado (Size of thumb)
-Cheese
-Almonds (5-6)
-Peanut Butter (1 TBS)
-Many other nuts
-Yogurt (I love Chobani Greek Yogurt--it is very filling)
-Cream Cheese
-Cottage Cheese
The cheeses can be healthy fats and healthy carbs, but you have to just be careful with portions.  If you have a sandwich, maybe 1 slice of cheese is a portion.
 I have recipes for a bunch of these ingredients.  So stay tuned for that!

Vegetables
via
-Carrots
-Cucumbers - all you can eat. These you can snack on if need be in between meals.
-Celery - all you can eat. These you can snack on if need be in between meals.
-Bell Peppers
-Onions
-Lettuce
-Spinach
-Peas
-Green Beans
-Basically any veggies
I personally like my veggies raw.  I wash them and dice them up and put them into a gallon sized baggie for ease of use.  With at least two meals, you need to have 2 handful size servings of vegetables.

These are definitely not the only options.  These are just my favorites.

Essentially, you can combine these in any way you would like!  You can make up recipes tailored to the available food.  These are definitely all of the choices.  They are many of the foods that I stick with.

It is wise to cut out butter and sour cream consumption.  Unless you use them as your 100 calories.  When I eat a baked potato, I have actually become accustomed to eating it dry with salt and pepper.  It takes some getting used to, but with plenty of water to drink with it, it is delicious.... you can actually taste the potato, and as an Idaho girl, that is important to me.

If you have any questions or if I left anything off, just email or comment!

Happy Losing!

Evelyn Campbell Curtis

1 comment:

  1. I definitely need to cut back on condiments and refined sugar, and drink more water. Always more water. Having vegies in a baggy for ease of use is a great idea!
    It is best to not have any of the salty or sugary snack foods on hand. I need to get back to that. It is easy to get away from the good habits!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is meant for interaction. Please comment. But also be aware that anyone involved with this blog may be sensitive to harsh comments. Thank you!