Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wednesday Food: Metabolism

I stopped in at a local store that sells natural and herbal supplements.  I have had the desire to educate myself on what nutrients the body needs to be healthy, and what foods have those nutrients in them.  I figure why not change my diet to allocate for those important nutrients.  I am really beginning to believe that with the nutrients that I have been introducing into my diet, my body is not craving unhealthy foods as much, and I am losing weight at a slow and healthy rate.  My intent with this life change is to keep the weight off, and to stay healthy.


So, whilst in the store (the name escapes my mind), I asked if they had any brochures.  A few minutes later, I was walking out of the store with magazines and brochures containing information about some of the nutrients needed.
Picture from my magazine

Having said that, I want to talk about metabolism.  What is metabolism?  In short terms it is the process by which your body breaks down the nutrients, enzymes, and makes them into energy.  We get that energy from the plants and animals that we consume (Kids Health. 2011).

So we need to figure out what foods are going to boost our metabolism. 

One of the magazines that I got from the natural health store is called Energy Times.  It contained a list of nutrients and what they do.  One of those nutrients being Biotin, which so happens to be for boosting the metabolism.  It lists the food sources for biotin.  If you eat Avocados, eggs and dairy, liver, pork, salmon, and yeast (oats and soy flour), you will increase your Biotin intake!  Most fruits and vegetables contain a small amount of biotin, so eat a good variety, and it will help you reach your body's need of biotin!

I'm going to integrate some of these things into my diet.  Pork and salmon for me is an occasional food, but I love them both.  I think I'll go buy some next trip to the grocery store!

Happy losing!

Evelyn Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is meant for interaction. Please comment. But also be aware that anyone involved with this blog may be sensitive to harsh comments. Thank you!