Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Exercise=Endorphins

Via
I learned about endorphins in junior high science class.  I don't remember much about what I learned, other than they are the natural feel good chemicals released in your brain!  I don't know about you, but I love to feel good and happy!

Melissa Walker, a journalist for ivillage quoted Alan Hersch, MD saying, "Endorphins are neurotransmitters produced in the brain that reduce pain [...] they have also been known to induce euphoria (Walker, 2011. para 2)."


Via
Each person is different in when they release endorphins, but it usually occurs when the person has exerted effort, is experiencing a certain level of pain, by laughing, or even when eating spicy foods!  The release of endorphins is a natural pain killer.

I am not a scientist, nor a biologist.  I just know that I love endorphins and always have.  I love the feeling after I run, do squats, sprints, and all manner of workouts.  I usually have a bounce in my step and a smile on my face.

Just last Thursday when I worked out, it was the first time that I ran a certain length of the track non-stop, and as I crossed my goal finish line, I had a giant smile on my face.  The combination of endorphins with the euphoria of actually meeting a goal of mine was wonderful!

So, endorphins, keep 'em comin'!

Happy losing!

Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is meant for interaction. Please comment. But also be aware that anyone involved with this blog may be sensitive to harsh comments. Thank you!