Saturday, November 5, 2011

Goal Saturday: Knee Strengthening

It is not a new topic that my knee has been giving me problems over the last two weeks or so.  I have been doing some research on the internet about how to strengthen the knee.  There is one video that I feel is going to be one of the best options for myself.  After I had surgery, my doctor did not assign me to take physical therapy (which was probably for the better, because we found out that Jason's employer was not taking money out of his checks for insurance--we had the cards and thought we had insurance, but didn't--boo, I know).  Anyway, I never got the strengthening through PT.  Maybe that is why I have been having issues.  I don't know for sure.  I can only try some strengthening exercises and see if my knee gets better.





I asked the physical therapist in this video for some tips (I could not find my comment in the stream), and he responded, and this is what he said, "Yes, the more you can strengthen your knee without increasing pain the better. Plenty of stretches for the hips, adductors and calves (don't just concentrate on the knee - the muscles above and below the joint will have a major impact on it's strength and stability).
And try some hip and ankle mobilisations as well as some contract-relax stretching.
Might be worth laying off the running for a bit and then build it back up gradually."

So, if you are having knee pain, or if you have bad knees, maybe this goal is for you too!

My Goals for this week:
Perform this knee strengthening exercise daily.
Stretch the legs and hips good everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is meant for interaction. Please comment. But also be aware that anyone involved with this blog may be sensitive to harsh comments. Thank you!